• question-icon

What causes itching of lips, mouth and anus?

Posted on Fri, 2 May 2014 in General Health
Question: The corners of my lips, the roof of my mouth, and my anus are itching very badly. The effected areas of my lips and roof of my mouth seem to be covered in hundreds of tiny bumps? Please help. This happens to me maybe once a year. Could this be an std called Trichonomiasis?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please provide photos of problematic body sites... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your medical history and ask to have a photo of the corners of your lips which are having tiny bumps. The photos can help me assist you better. To my opinion, based on the medical data you are providing, it might be related to gastrointestinal fungal infection affecting mouth, intestines and anus. However, further tests are necessary to identify the right diagnosis: - oral swab culture for fungal infection - microscopical examination/culture of urethral swab/fluids for trichomonas - abdominal ultrasound - colonoscopy - blood work I wanted also to know if you have had any course of antibiotics or other medications recently? Please bare in mind that men are usually asymptomatic when it comes to Trichomoniasis. They might carry this protozoa, but are not developing the disease itself as compared to women. However, tests should run to rule it out. Looking forward to have your photos in! Thank you! Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
I tried taking pictures but the bumps are so small that you can't really see them in a picture, but I feel them with my tongue. I'm not taking any medications right now. I've had this problem a few times before, over the past few years. It usually goes away in a few days (4-5). I've done a lot of research on the internet about possible connections to an std and trich is the only thing that sounds close. Seven years ago I traveled to Mexico, while I was there I had sex with a women, about 3 weeks later I was back home. Soon after I had some pain during urination, and the next day I had itching in my anus. I went to the doctor to get tested for everything, I had never heard of trich so I didn't ask them to test me for it. All the other tests came back negative. All the symptoms went away. A few months or even a year later every once in a great while I would feel an itch inside the tip of my penis, but it would go away immediatly. I've since been back to the doctor several times, still with negative test results. Over this time I feel my urethra (where urine comes out) has gotten bigger, and so has my anus. I'm very frustrated because I can't find the answer. The last doctor I saw I asked specifically if he could test me for trich, but he says there is no way to test for it in men. What should I do? The last doctor also did a lot of blood work and found nothing. Maybe they are just not looking for the right thing?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further tests are advised to run... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Ok, then, at this point, if I was your caring doctor would ask to run the following tests: - examination of stool for ova/parasites (I highly suspect you got infected during your last visit in Mexico where intestinal parasitic infections are prevalent) - culture the stool for fungal infection - urine analysis and culture - urethral fluid culture and sensitivity testing Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed. As mentioned earlier, usually, men might be carriers to trichomonas, but do not develop the disease itself due to their anatomical composition. However, urethral fluid culture and microscopical examination would rule out trichomoniasis. To my personal opinion, I do not think it is trichomoniasis. To me, it is more like intestinal parasitic infection with periods of aggravation and improvement of symptoms. Stool examination would rule them out. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. Albana I will take your list of tests to my doctor. Umm, how do I go about giving a stool sample to my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions to getting stool sample... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. You can buy a stool container at your local pharmacy. After passing the motion inside a clean container (not the one you bought), mix the stool well and put some inside the sterile container before going to your doc's office. Please take the sample non longer than 2 hours after passing the motion. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana If my answer was at your satisfaction, kindly rate it when closing this thread. If you have more questions, do not hesitate to contact me again!
Dr. Albana Sejdini