What causes itchiness in the throat despite taking Zpack?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi yes have had ithcy throat since middle of September nothing seems to help it, Had endoscopy done do have some irritation but been on medicine for over a month and not helping. Some days are better than others but still there and interfering with my life. Very deep itch not even sure if my throat what other types of tests should I be getting. We have tried zpack, am on heartburn medicine since been having the itching.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consider allergy testing and treatment

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Omeprazole is used for acid reflux, which can contribute to irritation of the throat in some persons.

You have treated for both reflux and possible infection which can both sometimes cause itching or other abnormal sensations.

You may also want to consider allergy testing, this can be in the form of skin prick testing or a blood test..
Allergies can affect any part of the body and may also cause itching of the throat.

Allergy testing can be done for food, medications, environmental allergens

If allergy testing is not an option at this time then you can consider using medication to interrupt the allergy cascade or reaction , if it is related eg an antihistamine such as benadryl d, allegra d, claritine d, zyrtec d.

The d stands for decongestant because some persons have a drip to the back of the throat that goes along with the allergies causing itching. Decongestants treat this drip.
They are used in persons who may not have history of congestion or may not be aware of the drip.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
thank you I will try it. I do have an appointment with an allergist on 11/30 so hopefully this will help until then
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I hope it helps you

Detailed Answer:
Hopefully

I wish you the best

If there are any other queries, you can let me know

Brief Answer:
can use the combination to see if this helps

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can use it along with the zyrtec d to see if the combination would be helpful
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
hi yes I forgot to tell you been using flonase as well, I don't know if still need to be using it definitely didn't help the itching. Would you recommend not taking Flonase or will not hurt anything I am now taking ZyrtecD

ok thanks. The zyrtecD seems to be taking the edge off anyway so hopefully will clear up soon.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
hope so as well

Detailed Answer:
HI

I hope so as well

If not , can let me know