What causes fluid discharge from belly button along with pain?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I started experiencing pain behind my belly button 3 days ago. Thought I had pulled a muscle but the pain kept getting increasingly worse. Yesterday I had bloody tinged fluid coming from my belly button. I went to Urgent Care where the Dr. sent me to the Er. The emergency room doctor while examining me put her finger in my belly button and pushed down hard. The pain was the most excruciating pain I had ever felt and pain radiated down to the left of my abdomen and up abdomen and up to the right. I was in severe pain for about 20 min until they gave me an intravenous narcotic for the pain. They ordered a Cat scan and nothing showed up so they sent me home with pain killers and antibiotics. Official diagnosis abdominal pain. I left in more pain than I went in and today I have felt flu like symptoms as well as pain in my abdomen. I don't have a primary care Dr. so if I don't feel better tomorrow should I go to another hospital.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Persistent urachus should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Pain and fluid discharge from belly button are typical symptoms of persistent urachus.
Urachus is a special canal which in the fetal life connects the bladder with umbilical cord. This canal usually disappears after the birth. However in some cases it remains open.
Bladder infections, occasional bellybutton discharge (can be smelly like an urine), umbilicus infection can be present. The symptoms can come and go.
Bladder infections can give frequent urinating, lower abdominal pain, back pain.

If you have a lump in the umbilicus, hernia can be always the case, however this should be visible in the CT.

I suggest you to consult urologist with this issue. Cystography (contrast is given to the bladder) should be done to rule this condition out.

If you feel like there is infection present (flu like symptoms indicate that), you should get at least an antibiotic (Ciprofloxacine 500mgs twice a day would be fine). So if you can, please visit another doctor as this clearly has not been diagnosed correctly.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
I was given Sufameth/Trimethroprim 800/160 MG tb 1 tablet every 12 hours for 10 days. They said the culture would not be back of the fluid in my belly button for 3 days and at that time if they need to they would call and change my antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This antibiotic is acceptable and should help.

Detailed Answer:
This antibiotic is acceptable and should help as well. This is good they have taken the culture. You may wait for the result witch should be in 3 days indeed. But this does not solve the problem permanently as the urachus needs to be ruled out. Otherwise it can recur.
OK thank you. So I should make an appointment with a eurologist. Thank you so much the pain is getting to me and I have a hard time taking pain killers they make me sick and am trying to live through it with motrin.
Brief Answer:
Yes, please consult urologist.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, please consult urologist. Especially if you have most of mentioned symptoms. As you take an antibiotic, probiotic should be added as well.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon