What causes pus filled pimples on the scalp?

Dermatologist
Question

My husband has pus filled pimples in the backside of his head. He has very oily hair. We have observed that they come up whenever he has sweets or his hair becomes very oily. They usually come and go very frequently. It has been like this for the past 4-5 yrs.

But this time, when he went on a vacation and came back, he ended up with severe pus filled pimple like, crusty dandruff like skin on the back on his head. He is also having severe pain while moving his head due to this.

I m attaching a picture for your reference. Please let us know what it is and what can be done.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Scalp folliculitis and its management

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.
Your husband seems to be having scalp folliculitis.
It is associated with oily scalp, dandruff, intake of sugary foods and hormonal factors.
If I was his treating doctor I would recommend him to use a ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly, apply fusidic acid cream on the affected areas twice daily and take capsule doxycycline 100 mg once daily at bedtime.
These need to be continued for a long time as it is a chronic condition.
For pain he can take anti inflammatory medicines like tablet diclofenac and serratiopeptidase twice daily for 3 days.
These medicines are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: What causes pus filled pimples on the scalp? 2 hours later
Thank you for the reply.

can you let me know if there are any diet constraints? anything i can do to avoid the frequency of this occuring?

Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
He should reduce the intake of sugary and oily foods, avoid oiling of scalp, use anti dandruff shampoo regularly and keep the scalp dry.