What causes feeling of gas stuck up in the throat?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 12 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor, I am experiencing some gas is stuck up in the trachea or throat. When I pull the skin at the trachea or throat I can exhale out through my mouth. I thought this as burping and went to GP, Gastroentrologist. Last week I have undergone endoscopy and doctor told the oesophagus, Stomach, Duodenum is normal and he taken some samples of gastric small bowel and I am waiting for those results. This was happening from XXXXXXX 1st 2014. Suddenly it started and I don't know why its happening. I went to another Gastroentrologist also in febraury and he told that I am swallowing air. Because of that it is coming. I am not sure why this is happening. I suspected gerd or peptic ulcer but I don't have any heart burn. Still waiting for my small bowel results taken during endoscopy. Could you please let me know. I work in a very stressed job for the past 8 to 9 months. and I used to take yogurt, eggs regularly. Is there any problem with the trachea. Please let me know. Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The symptoms that you describe are common. They result usually from conditions such as LPR (LaryngoPharyngeal reflux) which does worsen with stress. In LPR, the chest symptoms seen in GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease) are usually absent. It is likely that a Gastroscopy may miss the subtle changes in the throat and larynx. Get a Videolaryngosocpy done. 2. Since burping requires pulling at the skin overlying the trachea and throat, there may be mild cricopharyngeal spasm. The source of the air may be eating too quickly, certain gas forming foods (Food Intolerance) or excessive gas forming bacteria. If you have abdominal symptoms or diarrhea, rule out SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) syndrome. 3. Additional tests such as Esophageal Mannometry, Tests for H.pylori Infection, Abdominal USG (Ultrasound) to rule out hiatal (sliding) hernia, Stool examination as well as a follow up with the tests already under process are required. 4. In the meanwhile, you may double the dose of Nexium. If this trial does not help, add domperidone. Take the morning dose of Nexium half an hour before breakfast on an empty stomach. I must emphasize that such symptoms are very common and not a cause for worry. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Hi Doctor, Thanks for the detailed answer. I am totally confused after reading your answer. Now I am more scared. I don't have any abdominal cramps or any other pain except the gas stuck up in the throat. May I know why it is not a cause of worry. If it is an LPR or GERD then I think I should not take any spicy foods life long and it is not curable also. Please let me know doctor. Please let me know if this is curable by surgery or medicines or any other means. Doctor I have previously used nexium and when I used nexium it increased my burping more. Thats why I stopped them after taking GP recommendation. Doctor One final word Is there any permanent cure for this kind of condition. Could you please let me know. Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The confusion with a detailed answer is because in this form of online consultation, the patient cannot be directly examined. It is important to list all possible causes and rule them out one by one. 2. Is is good to hear that you do not have any abdominal symptoms. This will rule out intestinal problems. 3. There is no cause for worry as these are very common symptoms. 4 out of every 10 patients that I see in a regular OPD have such complaints. 4. The most common diagnosis is LPR. This usually resolves with medication in 8 to 12 weeks of continuous medical therapy and lifestyle changes. Surgery is rarely required. 5. To permanently cure this condition all the causes should be identified. Sometimes this is not possible without all the investigations listed above. However I first try medical treatment. Refer back to your physician to try other medications (besides nexium-esomeprazole) such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, ranitidine, famotidine, mucaine gel, treatment for h. pylori (if required) and lifestyle changes. 6. Lifestyle changes include a bland, non-spicy, non-oily diet, timely intake of smaller quantities of food, eating slowly, avoiding troublesome foodstuff such as excessive caffeine, alcohol, tobacco; eating dinner at least two hours before sleeping, raising the head end of the bed by 4-6 inches. avoiding tight clothing, loosing weight, reducing stress and so on. 7. With these efforts you will definitely be able to overcome this problem. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 hours later
Thank you very much doctor. Sorry for the delayed response. Will take the further action and get back to you. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. Wish you a speedy recovery. You may follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later
Sure Doctor. Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank You Detailed Answer: Wish you good health, Regards.