• question-icon

What causes excessive sweating and low appetite in children?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi, my son turned three today. For some months now he can get very sweaty in bed (although I would describe him as a fairly sweaty boy eg his feet in shoes etc), to the point that I sometimes have to change his pyjamas, he also regularly complains of knee pain (although I haven't seen him limp) and "pain in my tummy", he has a pretty poor appetite and I wonder if he has lost some weight. He has done a couple of recent small vomits without warning but with a very fast recovery in the last 2 weeks. Due to his age and the fact I had twins a year ago I don't know how much is genuine and how much is attention seeking. He can be quite whingey generally but can also be an absolute XXXXXXX Strangely, a few weeks ago, he had tonsillitis quite badly and was put on a course of amoxicillin antibiotics and he was like a changed boy, so happy and well, then as soon as the course finished he was back to his old self.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Before he was prescribed amoxicillin, did he have any tests done?
Considering his symptoms, he needs at least some basic tests. Urinary tract infection, is a common reason of such symptoms in his age. He may suffer from some pain while urinating, but not necessarily.

I suggest you to take him to a doctor. Blood work, urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound are the good tests to be done at the beginning.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon