What causes elevated TSH levels?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: what is the cause of rising thyroid stimulating hormone when on treatment for hypothyroidism ?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inadequate dosage of drugs

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.
Generally in body Thyroid stimulating hormone leads to production of T3 and T4.
In hypothyroidism the production of T3 and T4 decreases, which leads to rebound increase of TSH.
As your TSH is raised even being on treatment for hypothyroidism, the possibility is inadequate dosage of drugs.
So, please do consult your doctor and take advice regarding the adjustment of the dosage.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 days later
Thanks for your previous answer to my question. My thyroid medication has been increased by 50 micrograms of thyroxine every six weeks, could this 50 microgram dose be increased at six weekly intervals if , also what is the desired TSH remains the same or continues to rise, also what is the desired level of TSH.

Sincerely

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
0.5 to less than 5 mIU/L

Detailed Answer:
As your TSH level is high, your thyroxine dose has to be increased.
Normal TSH level should be between 0.5 to less than 5 mIU/L.
If your TSH level comes to normal after increasing thyroxine dose, you can continue with that dose.
So, please do consult your doctor and adjust the thyroxine dose accordingly.