What causes dryness in the throat when I drink water?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Every time I drink water, me throat feels extremely dry, sore, and almost swollen, as if there be an stone in me throat. It happens with any temperature water, in every form, whether it be tap, filtered, spring water,or flavoured water. It also causes acid reflux noi matter if me stomach be full of empty. This issue doth not occur with any other liquids, even those of high water content. I ceased consuming straight water for five years, believing at the time the issue was due to hormone changes during puberty. Now I be an 26 year old lady and be determined to take control of me health and consume water again, and the issue be worse than during adolescence. I used to love water and now it be an struggle just to take the tiniest sips of it. Please help me in finding an cause to this issue and possible solutions?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Problem seems to be due to sluggish gastrointestinal movements

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I think that you should get an upper GI endoscopy done. You seem to have a propensity of getting gastroesophageal reflux. The problem does not seem to be due to water but due to the filling of the stomach it produces. There might be problems with the gastrointestinal movement which drives the food down through the gastrointestinal tract as it get digested, absorbed and finally eliminated as feces.

My suggestions for you would be:
* Take small meals at lesser gaps.
* Take nexium (esomeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps suggested her to take Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg once after breakfast. If you want to try it, please discuss with your treating physician.
* Gurgling with lukewarm water should help.
* Take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for a few days and see if it helps.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad