What causes delayed periods?

Question
Hi Doctor ,
My gf had a his period delayed from 2 weeks now .
We used condoms evertime . But used i-pill also 2 times for surety.
She used Pregnency Test on 10th and 14th day of missed period date.
Both test were negative .
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly a side effect of emergency pill.

Detailed Answer:

Emergency pills disturb the hormonal balance of the body and create menstrual irregularities. As she has taken the pill on two instances in the same cycle, her period will get delayed by a week or two.

In the current scenario, please get an estimate of serum beta-hCG titres and also a trans-vaginal sonogram and consult a specialist. If pregnancy can be excluded, she would need hormones to induce a withdrawal bleed.

Please remember that emergency pills should be rarely used, only once or twice a year, during the real emergencies. I would ask her to go for a regular form of contraception.

Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to contact for any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 36 minutes later
But she has tested using I-can pregnecy test 2 times..
1 today : Negative
4 days before : negative .\

do we still need any other test.
or just use i-can pregnancy test .once more after 4 days.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go for the blood test and the sonogram.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

In order to start further management through use of hormones, it is essential to rule out pregnancy even though chances are slim and also to exclude any other local pathology. This is why she needs a blood test for pregnancy and a trans-vaginal sonogram followed by expert guidance. You need not repeat any more urine tests.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you need any more suggestions. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.