What causes delay in periods by more than 10 days?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hai sir my name is XXXX I have missed my1st peroid time 2month is running I dont no wt to do plz help .....
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Missed periods

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcaremagic.com for an opinion,

If you have missed your periods by more than 10 days as of now then you must get a urine pregnancy test done first. If the test is positive then you are pregnant.

If the test is negative, then possibly the cause of delay may be most commonly stress induced hormonal imbalance unless other potential causes like hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia or even PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome) are ruled out.

So first things first, get a urine pregnancy test done and thereafter if need be a hormonal profile, a ultrasound pelvis and a gynecological examination may be undertaken to rule out or establish other causes of oligomenorrhoea( irregular menses), once pregnancy test is negative.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist