What causes constipation while on Metformin and Januvia?

Posted on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have a platelet count of 78 and have diaebets type 2 and I take metformin and Januvia and also just told I have an enlarged spleen. What could be the problem. I am having a real problem with conspitation taking stool softners and Mira Lax.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
metformin can cause constipation,one of the most common side effects

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Metformin may also be contributing to your constipation since this is a known side effect of this medication
This possibility should be considered. If possible, an alternative should be tried to see if there is any change with the constipation.

A scope of the colon, if one has not been done recently, would be the best option to determine if there is any obstruction of the colon by any mass or structure in the abdomen.
It would help to see if there is a abnormal structure or mass related cause for the constipation.

It is also important to remember that persistent use of laxatives can also eventually lead to constipation because it prevents the bowel from working on its own.
Laxatives should only be used intermittently.

Decreased platelet count can occur with an enlarged spleen. The reason for this is medically referred to as sequestration which means that the platelets essentially become trapped in the spleen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James