• question-icon

What causes chronic foot cramps at night?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had cramping in my right foot very bad at night for several years, I have numbness from the palm of my hand down too the last 2 fingers (1 year). Over the last 3 months, - I if I kneel I lost all feeling in my lower legs, Tingleing in my lower legs at night. Resless leg syndrome, Loss of bowl control. Confusion Problems w/memory at times. Just came back from my Dr. He put me on Gabapentin. I was on Neurontin 2 years ago but same Dr. & I knew that didn't work. Since I am having problems breathing he said it was more important to take care of that. But he also said since I am 63 years old the 1st issues I mention above will be harder to address now. Needless to say I am frustrated. Yes I smoke. I am working w/ a stop smoke group and just started the nicotine patch.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spinal cord stenosis to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, in your case multilevel spinal cord stenosis ( cervical and lumbar ) should be considered as a possible condition that may cause a good part of your symptoms (cramping, numbness, difficulty kneeling, numbness in hand, bowel issues, etc.).

About confusion and memory issues, mild cognitive impairment should be considered.

Conditions that may narrow or compress the spinal cord include herniated disc disease, spondylolisthesis, spondylosis etc.

Gabapentin is a drug that may be used as an antineuralgic, but a correct diagnosis.
before treatment is necessary.

Please discuss with your primary care Doctor about getting evaluated further about spinal cord stenosis with imaging studies too.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 50 minutes later
Thank you.
I believe you are correct & agree that this is an area that have further review.
What I told my Dr. Today, but didn't want to take up space when I sent you the 1st question. For 3 months I have not been able to do ANY heavy housework. Mopping my large floors, or moving the chairs to Vaccum has given me so much back and neck pain. I lose the ability to walk, and have to take ibuprofen with ice packs on my back.
I am frustrated because this didn't seem to register. Do to a bone dynsity test 6 months ago he confirmed that there is a problem. He ran a blood test as well and put me on 1000mg of vitamin D. Clearly that is not going to help improve the problem but it well help slow down the bone lose.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spinal cord and column conditions still to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

This new information about your symptoms reinforces the suspicion about spinal column and cord diseases that pressure on neural structures.

If osteoporosis or osteopenia were diagnosed, these conditions may worsen spinal stenosis.

So, I think you should get evaluated further in order to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Greetings.

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical