What causes chills in the body?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have constant chill which i always mistake for malaria and typhoid fever back home in Nigeria but now in Australia the condition still persist, i was diagnosed with hypertension last december and have been taking metoprolol since then. i have done a lot of general texts to determine the cause of this chills but all the result came out good. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever charting and work up of autoimmune and POU may be started

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately. Based on the history you have shared, it can still be enteric though it would have been more appreciable if you had discussed the detailed discription of tests which you had undergone and share the reports if possible. The drug history of the medications you have used is also very important.

You should start with fever charting and record pattern of fever because that is very important to suggest the type of infection. Also any associated symptoms other than chills that you had observed will be very important.

Based on the travel history and from malaria and enteric endemic areas clinical history so far is still suggestive of enteric or malaria. Even when prove isn't on labs clinical judgment is relied more upon in such cases. You can start by using antibiotics like ciprofloxacin for enteric after discussing with your GP and may have an antimalarial cover too for three days with drugs like artimether. This prohylactic therapy is important and works in many patients.

Before starting antibiotics repeat the blood cultures and stool cultures for enteric and other basic blood work up like complete blood count and MP smear.

If all of that is not suggestive then a detailed probe into the matter with proper protocol of pyrexia of unknown origin should be started and a close liason with an infectious disease specialist should be kept. The autoimmune causes should also be kept in the mind though rare but a possibility.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar