• question-icon

What causes burning sensation on top of the head?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have a burning sensation top of head, feels like its on fire, i can feel the nerves! Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Fortunately that description is not indicative of a worrying issue, brain lesions do not manifest with such scalp sensations.

One possibility would be a local skin issue such as a fungal infection, psoriasis, eczema, even a reaction to a cosmetic product such as a shampoo or a hair XXXXXXX However these issues should have visible skin changes which can be seen on close inspection, if no such changes are seen, less likely. In terms of treatment, relief of symptoms may be obtained by use of topical steroids such hydrocortisone cream, antihistaminics usually used for allergy such as levocetirizine. However long term management depends on the exact nature of the condition.

Another explanation could also be simply anxiety. It is a very common issue which often is accompanied by such abnormal sensations. In that case measures may include from simple means such as relaxation exercises, yoga etc to a short course of anti anxiety medication such as benzodiazepines (for no more than a few weeks).

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
thanks for writing me so quickly, just to mention i had a sebecious cyst above eyebrow for one month, the lump has gone down but still feel a tingling feeling that manifests to my head, it almost feels like i can feel the nerves. If i press the back of my neck i can feel the nerves on my head. Just don't know what to do. Feels like my head is on fire at times, thanks.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I do not think the sebacious cyst over the eyebrow is the cause, its location and the symptoms you describe are in different nerve territories, so anatomically there is no relation, unless psychological factors are at play.

At times cervical spine issues may compress upper cervical nerves which innervate the scalp, however that presents more in the form of pain rather than the tingling feeling you describe.

If there are no visible skin changes I would put anxiety as the most probable diagnosis. It can be associated with neck and scalp muscle tension which may cause your symptoms. So I would try the above mentioned measures for anxiety. Also would try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen which is often beneficial in relieving muscle tension.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
thanks for info! Is it normal to have tingling still from a sebecious cyst though? sometimes i feel the burning tingling all over head at times! Just a little concerned as the head tingling came on suddenly. Thanks for your help!!!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
It is normal to have the tingling in the cyst surrounding area, due to the inflammation.
But this area is not as widespread as you describe it, a cyst in the eyebrow shouldn't cause tingling in the scalp which is affected by pressing on the neck, that is why I am saying that it is not due to the cyst itself. The eyebrow area is innervated by different nerve branches, unrelated to the nerves responsible for sensation on the back of the head.
You shouldn't be very concerned. As I said at the beginning such scalp sensations are not indicative of any brain lesions, whatever the cause it is not a threatening one.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist