What causes redness, dryness and flakiness on the lower lip?
This is XXXX , I am presently in south XXXXXXX ... for the past couple of days the right side lower lips is red like rashes sometimes sometimes it is not . Also today there was many dead skin around the vermillion border so I wiped it little hard with a cotton bud now the right vermillion border is red and burning . Also when I look closely I could see 4 to 5 pimples like but when I touch it it's not like that I don't know . Yesterday I applied hydrocortisone cream on the centre of the lower lips . Why is it like this I am so scared doctor . I am so scar d of herpes . You all tell me not to be scared but only when you see my pictures and tell me nothing to worry . Doctor but please honestly tell me what is this ?
Continue with the lip balm
Hello. Thank you for writing to me.
I have viewed the Images.
The Images are not suggestive of Herpes Labialis.
Your lips are dry and perhaps in order to keep it moist you unknowingly lick your lips in order to keep them moist with saliva. This in turn exacerbates the problem by extracting more moisture from the lips as the saliva dries up and leaving it more dry and crusty. The redness, dryness and flakiness could perhaps be due to this Lip licking. The more you lick your lips the more dry they would be. You must consciously avoid licking your lips.
Continue with the lip balm which would help lock the moisture in the lips.
I have attached few pics now which I have taken just now , the redness / rashes keeps coming and going sometimes it's there sometimes it's not there . For eg there was no redness in the border till now but when I just saw in the mirro that was one red spot in the left side vermillion border came out of nowhere . Please tell me what to do . I sometimes apply hydrocortisone cream just a like that overnight is that the reason ... can I apply hydrocortisone cream tonight if I can can I apply it overnight
Request you to please answer my queries I know that I am troubling you a lot with repeated set of questions but your answers are giving me a big mind relief believe me . I have attached few pics of my lower lips where the left side of the lower vermillion border there is adry patch also some white spots what is that? It's freaking me out doctor please help me please
Cheilitis. Not herpes
Apology for delay in response.
It's a patch of cheilitis. You may apply hydrocortisone cream over it for a week. It's not herpes simplex. Also keep it moist with lip balm. Avoiding licking your lips.
I have few queries though
1) the right side vermillion border there is a small pimple ( sometimes looks like a red line sometimes looks a pimple sometimes like a red rash I don't know )
2) sometimes it's in the left side vermillion border sometimes right side why is it like that
3) when I apply hydrocortisone cream
And then remove it some redness and dryness is there ( is it because I leave the cream overnight for a long time please advise )
4) as of now I am applying sebamed lip balm two to three times a day please help me doctor . Please help me come out of this issue.
Regarding your cheilitis
Pimple, red rash or a red line are just part of the dermatitis of the lips/cheilitis.
Are you sure you don't lick your lips?because this is one cause where you can have repeated dryness, cracking, peeling of lips unless you stop licking your lips. One can easily get used to this habit of licking and it happens subconsciously, eventually worsening the problem which started only as weather or cold induced excessive dryness of lip / cheilitis but due to this subconscious habit of licking the cheilitis becomes persistent.
Hydrocortisone is not a solution for lip cheilitis. It an be used occasionally.
Lip balms can be used regularly and they are quite helpful if In addition you an ensure that you don't lick your lips.
For the past couple of days the lefts side corner of the lower lips and it's vermillion border corner is giving me trouble feels sometimes like a dry patch ( I do not lick my lips but yes I often use cotton bud to wipe off the dead flaky skin sometimes with little force could that be the reason ? ) but these days I have been applying sebamed three times a day , I have attached pics and taken close up shots of that area where I am finding trouble , could you please tell me what it is ? It's making worried sick .
Use a moderately potent topical steroid cream
It is cheilitis. Since hydrocortisone is not very effective in your case. I suggest you to apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1 %or fluticasone propionate 0.05%cream, twice daily for a week. These are prescription products.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes redness in eyes and twisted lips overnight
- What is causing a swollen red spot on my lip
- Causes red back side of lower lip
- What causes dry red lips
- What causes red lips
- What causes red gums and lip tingling
- What causes lower lip to quiver
- Bright red lips causes
- Crusty red lips cause and cure
- What causes bright red lips
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body