Suffering from fungal infection of groin. Prescribed Gupisone, hydrocortisone cream. Safe to use steroid creams?

Hi my husband is suffering from fungal infection of the groin , his dermatologist prescribed him canesten and nizorale cream. since he started the treatment his situation became much worse and the infection spread! so he went back and the doctor prescribed him Gupisone 20mg tablets and a hydrocortisone 17 butyrate 0.1% cream. His skin is really irritated already is it safe to use such treatment as it contains steroids which might increase the irritation?
Thu, 21 Feb 2013