• question-icon

What causes blood in semen post vasectomy?

Posted on Mon, 20 Apr 2015 in Men's Health
Question: I had a vasectomy two weeks ago, and have started "purging the lines" a week after the procedure. My doctor warned me of the possibility of blood being in my first few ejaculations, but my first five were completely blood free. I just had one with a little bit of rusty colored blood in it, should I be concerned having blood in it for the first time after having multiple ejaculations with no blood at all? Also, the vas deferens on both sides coming up the top of my scrotum feel fairly swollen still.. Is this normal after 2 weeks? I am not really in any pain, and I do not have any signs of infection as far as fever or redness goes
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
SEEMS OK; DON'T WORRY

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you for posting your query in Healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

Some amount of blood in ejaculate following vasectomy is very common; you did not have blood in first few but had some in the last ejaculate. This looks normal. You can have blood in ejaculate after 2 weeks also but gradually it tends to disappear and after a month, there won't be any tinges of blood in your ejaculate. Don't worry about that.
And as for the swollen vas you have mentioned, it does not seem something serious as you don't have any other symptoms at all. Still get a blood for complete hemogram done. If the total WBC count comes high, chances of mild post operative infection could be found out and treated accordingly. Otherwise, it won't be a problem. You can take tab paracetamol if some pain occurs in the meantime.

Get back to me with the reports or consult your treating doctor.
Hope I have answered your question.
Contact me for any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 24 minutes later
thanks, I ended up going to a walk in clinic and the doctor said everything is completely normal and I did not require any blood work
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OKAY SO DONT WORRY

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Okay.
Its good to know you are completely alright as assumed.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta