Is WBC count of 10 a cause for concern?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi there, I had a CBC done at the emergency room about six months ago for stomach pain which they concluded was a possible ulcer or IBS. Since then the pain has went away for the most part. I had to request my medical records for insurance purposes today and took a quick look at the labs and my HGB was .6 high, HCT was .3 high, MPV was .2 high, and EOS was 7%. My WBC count was 10 (10.5 is the upper range). Does this cause any concern? The ER doctor said everything came back fine.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No reports are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Have gone through your reports.
We treat symptoms and patients and not numbers.
The body has hundred thousands of parameters in it so it's never feasible to have every parameter at exact normal value.

So symptoms of history with investigation helps us to reach a particular diagnosis.
Now regarding your query about possible ulcer ma'am, a blood test can never diagnose ulcer in stomach we have to go for a specialized test called endoscopy.
As per query regarding IBS its a diagnosis of exclusion which means that even after every possible investigation everything is normal and the patient is symptomatic its labeled as IBS.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
Thank you, I did have a abdominal CT scan which was normal but my insurance would not cover a endoscopy. Does this lab work show PV (Polycythemia Vera)?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

Yes, the CBC may show changes due to polycythemia vera.
Are you a smoker?

Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 minutes later
No, I am not. You said that the results were normal but can confirm PV?

Isn't PV cancer?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
folow up.

Detailed Answer:
It's a blood cancer that begins in the marrow of your bones, the soft center where new blood cells grow. If you have polycythemia vera, your marrow makes too many red blood cells, which causes your blood to get too thick.
But my dear patient hope that you can notice that all three values are deranged just by points(then normal range).When ever there is a cancer like polycythemia vera there is uncontrolled proliferation of cells leading to gross elevation in hemocrit hemoglobin etc.
So these labs value are not suggestive of cancer.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D