What causes black stool?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: sir ,i had faced black stool three times in one and half year.what should be the reason ang how to cure .sir the black stool lasts for thee to five days.after taking medicines it stops wthin one day.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
To get to the root cause and treat it for permanent cure.

Detailed Answer:
HI.
Thanks for your history and query. You has black stools 3 times in one and half years. Lats for 3 to 5 day. Medication noted.

First of all we have to understand why the stool becomes black and the probable causes; and the reason for intermittent one as in your case.
- Bleeding from any site from nose and throat to the proximal (initial part) of large bowel (colon). The blood in the intestinal tract is converted to a compound which turns it into black.
- Hence other causes where there is more iron like meat, some vegetables if consumed in large quantities.
- Medicines which contain Iron.

I would request you the following:
- First of all to undergo Upper GI endoscopy as the bleeding from the stomach, esophagus or duodenum from ulceration or any other disease can cause this.
- At the same time stop anything which contains high iron content.

Hence it is imperative that the cause be found and treated to get rid of this problem called malena.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant questions if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad