• question-icon

What causes dark tarry stool?

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: I'm curious if starting probiotics can cause stool color to change. my husband started them a week ago and immediately his stool turned a very dark brown. not black and tarry but very dark brown. normal movement, no changes in that, just the color. he has taken 4 of the probiotic chewables in the last 7 days. he stopped two days ago and his stool this morning is still dark brown. borders on black, but not black. he does not take iron, has taking no pepto bismol or eaten licorice, berries or drank red wine
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a possible effect of probiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome,

Yes, stool color change may be caused by probiotics and this may persist for up to 5 days after last probiotics intake. other causes include some dietary changes, liver issues or chronic gastrointestinal bleeding. however, at this point you should just wait for few days, have easier diet and more fluids and see will normal color come back. If not, then colonoscopy should be done.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 22 minutes later
thank you so much. I did have a picture but the lighting was terrible and it made the stool look black and it wasn't black... XXXXXXX we will know for sure tomorrow as he will be taking a sample to his doctor appt. that it started right after the probiotic gives me hope that is the cause.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up consultaion

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome,

Well, blood is usually seen right after bowel movements and I think that you would notice if blood was present since in cases of bleeding in lower part of bowels, it is bright red.

In case of bleeding in stomach and duodenum, the stool would be black like coffee. Dark brown is not something to be concerned.

There are cases of bleeding which is not seen in stool and this is called occult bleeding. To rule this out he should do red blood count in blood and occult bleed stool test. However, at this point, I don't think this is necessary.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 16 minutes later
thank you again. he had both of those tests a few months ago and they were fine. red blood count was fine and no blood in the occult test. again, thank you
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow-up

Detailed Answer:

Well, then you have nothing to worry about

Warm regards

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon