What causes an ear infection while on Amoxicillin?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello I went to urgent care yesterday where doctor told me i had an ear infection in my right ear.. and prescribed amox3icillin and today I woke up with both ears hurting and the right one completely clogged and cant hear out of it.. so he prescribed the ear drops neomycin and i have used 3 drops total .. along with taking 3 does of amoxicillin and a couple of pseudafeds with some motrin.. Nothing seems to be clearing the clogged right ear.. any suggestions..
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the Answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on Health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Clogging of the ear with pain is most commonly caused by Eustachian tube blockage.It is a tube which connects the middle ear with the nose and is responsible for equalization of the ear pressure with the outer atmospheric pressure.In case of nasal cold or throat infection,this tube may get blocked resulting in negative middle ear pressure which might result in fluid collection in the middle ear.Later infection may occur in the collected fluid in the middle ear.

You have started Antibiotic Amoxycillin,Decongestant-Pseudafed(Pseudoephedrine)(take decongestant only if you are not suffering from Hypertension,Heart/kidney/liver disease and high pressure in eyes-Glaucoma), and Analgesic Motrin(Ibuprofen).
Continue using these medicines.

If you are suffering from Ear discharge,then start using Antibiotic Ear drops like Ciprofloxacin instead of Neomycin Drops as Neomycin ear drops can affect the hearing nerve in a very few cases,if used for a longer duration.

Along with above medicines,you may find relief by taking medicines like :
Nasal Decongestant drops like Oxymetazoline,
Oral Antihistaminic like Cetrizine,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol,
Antacid like Rantac.

Also do steam inhalation.Drink lots of warm fluids.Avoid cold food and dust.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana