What does this MRI report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Dear Sir,
A friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS(in Nigeria) but within me, I think its a wrong diagnosis. According to his story, It started as a throat infection, then it affected his speech. After that, the right hand and 2 fingers close to the thumb started getting week- now numb. Right leg also numbed now and patient grew thinner as he has difficulty swallowing and at times, salivate.
Somehow, he was left to himself that nothing can be done!
Your professional advise is appreciated Sir.
Note Sir: I pursued a similar case about 4 years ago, it was an XXXXXXX Dr that was able to interpret the patient's MRI to be Tuberculoma of the brain. After the patient was treated medically for TB, all symptoms dissapeared.
Waiting to hear from you Sir.
XXXX
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Numbness is not a feature of ALS.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your friend's clinical details. Based on this, we need to look for other causes than ALS. Numbness (loss of sensations) is NOT a feature of ALS. ALS is a pure motor system disease, which causes weakness, thinning of muscles and muscle twitchings.

I need information about the following investigations- MRI Brain, MRI cervical spine and EMG.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What does this MRI report indicate? 10 days later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
I request you to send the MRI report.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I request you to send the MRI report (as reported by the radiologist) in a pdf format.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What does this MRI report indicate? 3 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your response.
I have attached the PDF (MRI Scan) as requested.
I am sorry I didnt attach before because I thought you will want to check the scan yourself
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI report is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back and attaching the MRI brain report. I am pleased to inform you that the MRI brain is normal, and there is no abnormality in the brain as per the MRI report.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What does this MRI report indicate? 23 minutes later
Thank you Sir.
I heard you well.
But I am not too satisfied.
Is it possible to get someone there to review the MRI scan (even if it is at an additional cost)?
The reason I said this is because of the initial experience we had with a friend. The only clue we got from the MRI scan was from an XXXXXXX Dr. who said he suspected a tuberculoma of the brain, other Nigeria doctors did not interprete the MRI scan well and said they must do surgery.
So I wouldnt want you to base your judgement based on the report written by the Nigerian Dr.
Thanks for your help Sir

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can get a second opinion on MRI scan.

Detailed Answer:
It is very easy to get a second opinion on the MRI films. Please direct your query to a RADIOLOGIST. There are many radiologists on the panel of this forum. I am sure you would easily get opinion from any one of them.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any query related to Neurology.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)