What does this MRI report indicate?
A friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS(in Nigeria) but within me, I think its a wrong diagnosis. According to his story, It started as a throat infection, then it affected his speech. After that, the right hand and 2 fingers close to the thumb started getting week- now numb. Right leg also numbed now and patient grew thinner as he has difficulty swallowing and at times, salivate.
Somehow, he was left to himself that nothing can be done!
Your professional advise is appreciated Sir.
Note Sir: I pursued a similar case about 4 years ago, it was an XXXXXXX Dr that was able to interpret the patient's MRI to be Tuberculoma of the brain. After the patient was treated medically for TB, all symptoms dissapeared.
Waiting to hear from you Sir.
Numbness is not a feature of ALS.
Thank you for posting your query.
I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.
I have noted your friend's clinical details. Based on this, we need to look for other causes than ALS. Numbness (loss of sensations) is NOT a feature of ALS. ALS is a pure motor system disease, which causes weakness, thinning of muscles and muscle twitchings.
I need information about the following investigations- MRI Brain, MRI cervical spine and EMG.
I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.
Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in
Thanks for your response.
I have attached the PDF (MRI Scan) as requested.
I am sorry I didnt attach before because I thought you will want to check the scan yourself
MRI report is normal.
Thank you for getting back and attaching the MRI brain report. I am pleased to inform you that the MRI brain is normal, and there is no abnormality in the brain as per the MRI report.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
I heard you well.
But I am not too satisfied.
Is it possible to get someone there to review the MRI scan (even if it is at an additional cost)?
The reason I said this is because of the initial experience we had with a friend. The only clue we got from the MRI scan was from an XXXXXXX Dr. who said he suspected a tuberculoma of the brain, other Nigeria doctors did not interprete the MRI scan well and said they must do surgery.
So I wouldnt want you to base your judgement based on the report written by the Nigerian Dr.
Thanks for your help Sir
Yes, you can get a second opinion on MRI scan.
It is very easy to get a second opinion on the MRI films. Please direct your query to a RADIOLOGIST. There are many radiologists on the panel of this forum. I am sure you would easily get opinion from any one of them.
I would be pleased to answer, if you have any query related to Neurology.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the meaning of the mri report
- What are the findings of the mri report
- What does these mri report of brain indicate
- What does the mri report indicate
- Done mri of back what does the reports indicate
- What is the interpretation of the mri report
- What does the mri report suggest
- Got an mri scan what does this report indicate
- What does word indication on a mri report indicate
- Done mri of spine what does the report indicate
- CT scan shows intracerebral bleed, cortical vein thrombosis, patchy...
- Distorted vision. MRI showed demyelination and suspected MS. Prescribed...
- I have been getting random twitching all over body. What should I do?
- Taking Epilim chromo to prevent migraine, now irritable, aggressive,...
- Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas,...
- Headache, taken painkillers and homeopathic treatment. No nausea. Worried
- X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease....
- What does the EMG results indicate? Could it cause problems with fine...
- Shivering hands and feet, blurred vision, tingling and numb foot, back...
- Does Gonapeptyl cause fits in children? Child has cerebral palsy