• question-icon

What causes GERD and white coating on the tongue?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have gerd and white coated tongue along with bitterness of tongue for past 4 years.have elevated direct and indirect bilurubin levels also and rest are all normal.urine test and blood test also normal.But i am having persistent compelte thick white coated tongue with bitterness from past 4 yearss pls advice me
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD with possible candidiasis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query very carefully.

Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand, the bowel habits would not be proper.

Additionally, your immunity seems to be depressed thus possibly giving you a condition called as Candidiasis which is responsible for the white coated tongue.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:

* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or Senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long-term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Please discuss this with your treating physician.

* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.
* Topical use of Candid (clotrimazole) mouth paint would be advisable.
* Treatment with oral antifungals like Fluconazole tablet once weekly for 4 weeks might be needed.

Hopefully, that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha