What cause constant period bleeding after having mirena IUD?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 May 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I'm a 33 year-old female with a Mirena IUD. This is the second Mirena I've had. I've had this one for about two years (since the birth of my daughter) and I've had no problems with it. With my first Mirena (pre-baby) I didn't have a period at all. With this newer one I've had an occasional, light cycle. About 2.5 weeks ago I started menstruating and it hasn't stopped. It's not heavy but constant. Also, I'm generally not feeling well which could of course be totally unrelated, but I wanted to get an opinion here. I'm going to see a gynecologist tomorrow, but I'm on a small island in a rural area (specialists come to the hospital one day per week) so I want to get an much info, as I can before I meet with him tomorrow. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

The levonorgestrel intrauterine system (Mirena) is most popular IUD. Over the time, many women get lighter period or even lose their period altogether. Some women have an irregular spotting or bleeding. These are all desirable side effect.

Some other causes like hormonal imbalance, polyp, fibroid, adenomyosis, thyroid disturbance, Poly cystic ovary etc should be ruled out in this context through clinical and pelvic examination (with or without speculum).

Initial investigations like ultrasound scan and hormone tests will be worthwhile to confirm the diagnosis. Kindly, consult with gynecologist regarding this.

Progesterone supplement or hemostatic agent (like Tranexamic Acid) is usually given to treat this type of condition. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326