What are the symptoms of lupus?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor.

I have a swelling the size of a golf ball under my right rib cage, I have felt it there for almost a year now, I am not sure if it getting bigger but I keep touching it and sometimes it gets sore and the muscles on my right side get very sore and uncomfortable which I try and help by stretching. I thought it might be my kidney so I bought an at home urine protein test, took it this past Friday and my protein level showed normal. I don’t have blood in my urine and it is clear, and I’m not showing any other kidney disease symptoms except maybe for being tired and that’s because right now I have a little cold. I am worried I have Lupus disease and the reason I think it’s Lupus because two years ago I started to get rashes like people have with Lupus disease. They showed up on my face(butterfly rash), my whole face was very sensitive and it felt like it was burning and was very painful. I also got these rashes on my arms, they were a little raised, and red around the edges creating circle like shapes. I went to a clinic and the nurse told me that it was eczema, she gave me an over the counter cream that works and prevents them from coming back, but, I think it’s something more serious because of the swelling around my kidney. I read that Lupus attacks vital organs like the liver and kidney and I’m very scared. I’m very healthy, don’t eat meat or dairy and take ALL the necessary vitamins, also drink a lot of vegetable juice and a lot of vegetables, grains and legumes. What do you think this is Doctor? Do you think that I need to go get my blood tested and get an X-ray done? The problem is that I do not have insurance and on a very tight budget. Please help me.

Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CECT is a required test in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I understand your query and concern.

First and foremost,not all butterfly rashes point to SLE.

To be framed as Lupus one needs confirmation with positive autoimmune antibody screen.

To determine the site of origin of the swelling under the rt rb cage,you need to have a Contrast enhanced CT abdomen/CECT.

This test can accurately identify the swelling and throw light on the treatment aspects.

X ray is not useful in this regard.Of course a complete blood picture will be supportive.

Blood tests should include screening for
1.anti ds-dna antibodies.
2.hemoglobin percentage.
3.differential blood counts.
4.Serum bilirubin ,SGPT and SGOT.
5.erythrocyte sedimentation rate.

Post your further queries,if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 50 minutes later
I can find out if its my gallbladder by the blood test, correct Doctor? Also Doctor i forgot to mention that the swelling under my right ribcage is on the back not in the front. Literally right underneath my ladt rib and in my back .
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound abdomen can be an alternative to CECT.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

Yes i understood the location of your swelling.

But to tell you blood tests only guide you the possibility of the underlying organ origin,burt they cannot accurately tell you the site as gall bladder.

You certainly need to undergo at least an ultrasound abdomen to determine the plane and origin of swelling incase if your very tight on the budget to afford CECT abdomen.

Post your further queries,if any.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju