What are the symptoms of dengue?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: Dengue Symptom
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 53 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, in dengue, you may have fever as first symptom. It may be higher than 101 degree. Somtimes you may feel bone pain. In extreme conditions, you may experience hemorrhagic episodes like petechial hemorrhagic spots. Vomiting, rash, abdomial pain, diarrhoea, muscle pain may also be seen. In very extreme conditions, dengue shock syndrome may occur. But, now a days the symptoms are changing. It is very difficult to say any particular symptom.

For diagnosis you have to do dengue serology tests. It includes IgG and Ig M specific for dengue virus. You have to do a complete blood count urgently. If dengue Ig M is positive, it Indicates recent infection. In that case, you have to monitor the platelet count every alternate days.

In treatment, you just have to take only paracetamol 650 mg and plenty of water. You should take a good nutritious diet.

Consult with any general physician for clinical examination , for oredering the required investigations, and for further management.

Hope this suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.