Should I go to urgent care for dog bite even after taking Doxycycline and wrapping the wound with Neosporin?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am on a 5 day zpack for sinus infection and I am on day 4 and my dog bit my 2 fingers on accident and drew blood my nail is bruised and its hurting but i was wondering if that will protect me from infection. I immediately cleaned the 2 fingers with peroxide and betadine and have Neosporin on them and they are wrapped in dressing. I have Doxycycline 100mg 20 pills left from prior to dr changing me to a zpack. Do I need to go to urgent care or take Doxycycline when through taking zpack?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Doxycycline not required now Detailed Answer: No need to take doxycycline in addition. With zpack and local wound care it should be fine.This will protect you from regular infections. Only worry is rabies infection, if your dog was not immunized or you have not taken vaccine recently. If either of you are not vaccinated, then you will have to take vaccines. Hope this proves helpful.Please feel free to ask if there doubts. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 26 minutes later
my dog is current with rabies vaccinations is that still a concern?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for follow up Detailed Answer: In that case no need to worry about rabies.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad