• question-icon

What are the symptoms of anaemia during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 13 Apr 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 17 weeks pregnant, NT scan at 12 week 01 day WNL, my wife's blood report has been attached (CBC), it shows low HB, Platelet count and RBC.. Is anything serious? Going to affect baby? please describe significance of this report and further medical management....Regards
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its a normal report

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,
Considering XXXXXXX standards, a haemoglobin level between 11-13 gm% is normal , however in pregnancy there is hemodilution and hence haemoglobin values are slightly less. aT 17 WEEKS , there is no major concern to be worried as the haemoglobin levels can be increased over coming months by the iron tablet which she must be taking daily. As the hematocrits count is normal there is no anaemia per se as the levels are more than 11gm% . The reference given in the report is that of a non pregnant woman, so not the right values for reference.
So there is no need to be worried.
regards
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist