What are the chances of getting pericarditis after a dental procedure?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: What are the chances of getting pericarditis after
a dental procedure?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
Do you have a rate controlling pacemaker(VVI or DDD) or defibrillator pacemaker (ICD)? For some cardiologists recommend infective endocarditis prophylaxis that is administration of antibiotics in patients with pacemaker specially of the later kind. American heart association guidlines terms this situation (patient with pacemaker undergoing dental procedure) as least risk situation for infective endocarditis. Essentially, prophylaxis involves adminsitration of antibiotics half an hour prior to the dental procedure and then 8 hours after procedure to prevent infection of heart structures by infection in the blood. In your case as you had a dental procedure, your blood can get infected and in turn produce infection within the heart. Theroretically, pacemaker lead induced valve leakage can produce raw area, susceptible to infection. That is only situation I can visualise when the two (pericarditis and dental procedure) be linked.
Undoubtedly, you are showing signs of infection, pain chest points towards heart, fever and fatigue support this. But to call it infective endocarditis as yet is premature. I will urge you to see your doctor who will certainly send your blood for complete blood count and possibly culture before starting antibiotics. An echocardiogram and EKG would support the diagnosis of pericarditis. Everything will be controlled within few days even in worst case scenerio. Good Luck.

If you have any follow up question, I will be only too happy to answer.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW