What are the chances of getting measles after being immunised?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 1.5 year old daughter was vaccinated 11 months for measles but still she got infected recently. How can this happen ?

Also please suggest remedies for this. It has been 3 days since symptoms has started to show up.She does not have any fever and no cough, just she is reluctant to eat food
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images to decide if its really measles

Detailed Answer:
Hi...please upload images of the rash to decide if it's really measles rash.

Skin conditions are best diagnosed after seeing directly.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Brief Answer:
Image is not that of a rash of 1.5 years old kid

Detailed Answer:
Hi...The Image is not that of a rash of 1.5 years old kid. It is showing two adult males at some work place.
Please upload images of the rash to decide if it's really measles rash.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This looks like hand foot mouth disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I feel by what you quote he should be having a - Hand Foot Mouth disease, after seeing the image you have provided.

This is one viral illness among all other exanthemas which can cause fever followed by rash over palms and soles and buttock.

It is a self-limiting disorder and itching can be really worrisome. I suggest you use any over the counter antihistamine if you have one with you now. You can use Hydroxyzine at 1-2mg/kg/dose (Maximum 10mg) every 6th to 8th hourly for 7 days.

This can even cause some peeling of skin in the next 4-6 weeks and do not worry about it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Thanks Doctor.

She is mainly facing irritation in the mouth because of this, any remedy you suggest to ease the pain in the mouth ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply Zytee gel for oral ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hi....in hand foot mouth disease, oral ulcers are quite common. That is the reason why kids do not eat well.

I suggest you use Zytee gel for the oral ulcers thrice a day 30 minutes before feeds.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar