Suggest treatment for hand-foot-and-mouth disease and sores all over the body

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello doctor my toddler son aged 4 was diagnosed few days ago with hand foot mouth disease..we were told that no medical treatment was required. Today the rashes have become very severe and is all over his arms and legs. He is in pain. Shoul I go see the doctor again? I have attached some pictures.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hand foot mouth disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I have seen the images and this is hand foot mouth disease. This is one viral illness among all other exanthemas which can cause fever followed by rash over palms and soles.

It is a self-limiting disorder and itching can be really worrisome. I suggest you use any over the counter antihistamine if you have one with you now. You can use Hydroxyzine at 1-2mg/kg/dose (Maximum 10mg) every 6th to 8th hourly for 7 days.

This kind of increase in the symptoms and then decrease is very normal in hand foot mouth disease, so you need not worry about it.

This can even cause some peeling of skin in the next 4-6 weeks and do not worry about it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth