Suggest treatment for severe itching and rashes on the abdomen and back

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi sir,

My son 2 years and 6 months old and weighs 13.2 kgs. He was scratching his belly from today afternoon and when we observed that time, we could not see anything. however when observed it now as we saw him scratching more and more there were rashes all over his belly and back. he is under medication currently for cough and cold. Kindly suggest medication and any ointment to reduce itchiness and remove the rashes.

Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on viral exanthem

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I have seen the image. This looks like a viral exanthem and it is nothing to be worried about. iIt is a self limiting disorder. But meanwhile you can give symptomatic treatment to reduce the itching and irritation.

I suggest you use calamine lotion as its giving results along with oral antiallergic like Hydroxyziine or Cetrizine.

Hydroxyzine (available as Atarax in the pharmacies) at 1-2mg/kg/dose every 6th to 8th hourly for 5 days.

This is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad