Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Does Hydroxyzine help to deal with alcohol withdrawal symptoms?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2487 Questions
Hello I am an alcoholic, I just got out of detox last week, I am taking hydroxyzine it seem to help with cravings and my anxiety do you have any suggestions or know of any other non narcotic non barbiturate meds that may help get me through the first couple of months?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen or acaprosate can be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health Care Magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although there are multiple options for reduction of alcohol craving but I think acamprosate and baclofen scores better when it comes to non narcotic and non benzodiazepine medication. Among the above two choices acamproasate have better properties as it acts on NMDA receptors while the Baclofen uses the same receptors used by barbiturates.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor