Does Hydroxyzine help to deal with alcohol withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hello I am an alcoholic, I just got out of detox last week, I am taking hydroxyzine it seem to help with cravings and my anxiety do you have any suggestions or know of any other non narcotic non barbiturate meds that may help get me through the first couple of months?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen or acaprosate can be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health Care Magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although there are multiple options for reduction of alcohol craving but I think acamprosate and baclofen scores better when it comes to non narcotic and non benzodiazepine medication. Among the above two choices acamproasate have better properties as it acts on NMDA receptors while the Baclofen uses the same receptors used by barbiturates.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.