What are the chances of STD transmission through oral sex?

Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I stupidly had oral sex with a man I don't know. I am a woman. I gave him oral sex. He did not give me oral sex. However his tongue was in my mouth. I have doxycycline. Will that cure me if he had any kind of STD. I don't know what to di. He said he had nothing but how can I believe someone I don't know. I feel horrible about this.
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get tested

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

I think you are being worried too much.

It is true that taking preventive measures are necessary to keep safe.

However, in your case, I advice you to run STDs tests 5 days after exposure ( this is incubation time for some of STDs like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV RNA test for early detection).

Another test can be carried out 3-6 weeks after exposure.

I repeat again, if the person did not have any known STDs then you should not get worried unnecessarily.

Next time, better take preventive measures.

All the best.
Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 2 hours later
Can you please tell me incubation period for all types of hepatitis and is there a way to cure hepatitis if I have it? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following incubation period for all types of hepatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Following are the incubation time for hepatitis:
- A: average period 28 days. No need for cure as it will usually get reversed on its own. Unless, you are having severe problems involving liver. It will remain in your system for life.
- B: average period 3 to 6 weeks. There are 2main stages: acute and chronic. Injecting beta globulin 12hours after the contact can protect.
Otherwise, acute hepatitis needs rest, fluids and will go on its own. The immunity will remain for all life.
The chronic illness depends on symptoms and viral titer. Antiviral are mostly prescribed.

- C: average 8-9 weeks, get tested after 3 months to confirm the first results. It has acute, subacute and chronic stage.
Treatment depends on how the liver is damages, your overall health status, titer of virus.

This might be confusing to you. I recommend to get tested first then can take measures as per tests results without worrying unnecessarily.

All the best.
Dr.Sejdini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar