What are symptoms of herniated disc?

Posted on Sat, 24 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi XXXXXXX . thanks for coming back to me and I hope this you are well.
A question.. how would you know if a disc had herniated? Also.. my neck appears to be improving but there is a pain/soreness at the back of the neck every night which stops me sleeping.. perhaps this is the physiotherapy.. should this eventually settle?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms and MRI make the diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
hi XXXXXXX

thanks for your question. sorry it's taken me a bit if time to get back to you I've been really busy.

You would know that you had a herniated disc from your symptoms of neck pain and if it was causing nerve compression shooting pain, numbness and weakness in your arm. The diagnosis however could be confirmed on an MRI scan.

I would hope with ongoing Physio and massage that your pain should improve although you may have to continue to manage it from time to time with the above and analgesic medication

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 23 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX ..my phsio has given me alot of exercises... one to walk an hour and a half every day and the other one is a Hip abductor strengthening with resistive band exercise.. for some reason this caused quite a sharp pain in my gluteals.. i see her this tuesday.. should i stop walking and exercising altogether. i swim twice a day, and get into the plunge pool twice a day. Also.. how would sponlitis of the spine be diagonosed, would this come up on an MRI. I notice a big improvement in my neck..except it is uncomfortable at night time.. i hope this eases over time.. also do you get pain with Kyphosis... thanks
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Addressed all 3 questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up question.

I try to get to all follow up questions the same day when possible.

if you've just started exercising your gluteal muscles then some pain during and following excercise is normal and should improve as time goes on I would not stop excercising.

spondylitis simply refers to degenerative arthritis in the spine. the diagnosis is usually made if you have back pain and arthritis on X-rays of your back. this shows as disc space narrowing and extra bits of bone called osteophytes. it would also show on and MRI scan where you would see additional changes such as dehydration of the discs in your back.

I'm pleased your neck is improving. Changing your medication times to give you maximum benefit overnight may help.

Kyphosis is a forward bend in the spine. yes you can get pain typically at the apex or maximum point of the kyphosis. sometimes a corset or brace can help with the discomfort.

I hope this answes your futher questions.

best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 32 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXXX . would this have appeared in my lumbar spine mri
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes the MRI would show it

Detailed Answer:
hi XXXXXXX

spondylitis is a general term for any wear and tear in the spine. an MRI would definitely show it as it is very sensitive to any abnormalities.

best wishes

Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 2 hours later
one more question... is it possible to know when a injury occurred from an MRI.. for example in my neck mri.. when would know when that happened...
Also.. I get a lot of pain in my spine area.. even thought I do a lot of exercise.. could this be spondylitis? thanks
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not always no

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Its not always possible to know when an injury occurred based on an MRI scan and sometimes it is difficult to know whether some of the abnormalities we see on an MRI scan are as a result of an injury or normal aging / degenerative arthritis.

Yes you are right in that pain in your back and spine can be as a result of spondylitis. Some people however can have terrible looking X-rays and scans and no back pain and others can have normal X-rays and scans and significant back pain and so symptoms and findings on radiological examinations do not always correlate.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon