What causes pain in the arm despite taking Tylenol and NSAIDS?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a throbbing pain(like a flue shot times 20). It is painful during some movements. Quit taking statins two months ago after one month of treatment. Seems to be getting progressively worse. Radiates down the arm. tylenol, NSAIDS ,and rubs like XXXXXXX XXXXXXX do not help. worse at night. Interrupts sleep. change of position does not help. This can make it worse.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In your case, conditions that may result in pinched nerve should be considered and evaluated further.

Conditions such spondylosis, herniated disc disease, or nerve lesions should be investigated further.

Besides medical examination, imaging studies of your neck such x-rays and MRI are necessary to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Statins use may result in some nerve damage, but there is generally improvement after stopping them.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Treatment depends on the diagnosis and includes painkillers, physical therapy, and surgery.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad