Weight loss after controlled diet. Getting higher cold sensitivity and hair loss. Cause and cure?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: I lost over 25 kilos in last 6 months with controlled and monitored diet & exercise, in general I am taking very nutritious food (no supplements & mainly vegetarian) and feel quite fit. However, over last 2-3 months I am loosing hair a lot and also have developed higher sensitivity to cold in this winter... is hair loss reversible and should I take Biotin supplement & will cold sensitivity reduce over time ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Higher cold sensitivity and hair loss can be caused by hypothyroidism. This happens when thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones. This result with whole body metabolism slow down. The most common reason is iodine deficiency but can be also caused by immune deficiency, some medicines (amiodarone), and many more.
The other symptoms which can be present are fatigue, dry, itchy skin, decreased sweating, constipations.
I suggest you to start your diagnostics with thyroid hormones level (TSH, FT3, FT4).
Hair loss can be also caused by improper diet, low ions, vitamins and proteins intake. So the next step is your diet verification.
You can also start taking Biotin, it can help.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later
My thyroid function tests are normal and I am taking nutritious diet under a certified dietition (Breakfast : fruit, milk, nuts & some veg protien sandwitch; Mid day: fruit; lunch: vegetable or protin with bread etc & salad; evening: fruit ; dinner: salad, vegetable/protein & bread; dinner time : milk)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

When have you had your thyroid tests? If not recently, you should have it repeated as it could not be present before.Have you had any other tests like blood work?
I cannot see meat and fish in your diet. Meat contains bunch of vitamins, minerals, fats and amino acids not present in vegetables or milk. Moreover, proteins from meat are much better absorbed than from other foods. You have not mentioned calories amount every day. It is not only type of food but also amount of it which is important. Supplements can not supersede natural ingredients.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
I got thyroid tests a couple of months ago. I am vegetarian so do not eat meat & I do eat eggs though. I am on 1700 - 1800 cal diet.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Hello!

Couple of month is long enough for thyroid secretion to get changed. Increased cold feeling is very characteristic for hypothyroidism so I would insist to have it checked again.
If you are vegetarian, you may be suffering from B12,folic acid or iron deficiency what results with anemia. It can be also a reason of your symptoms.
I suggest you to have also B12, folic acid, iron, ferritin, TIBC levels checked as well as full blood work. And according to the results, you should have one of mentioned supplementation.

Hope this will help.
Regards.