What causes fatigue and weight loss after child birth?

Question
I delivered a baby in November 2016.
I did not put on any weight.But I list almost 4 to 5 kgs after that and unable to regain.
My Diet is Normal. At time I feel very tired but not always.Visited the Local doctor who said there could be calcium iron deficiency.
Could it be thyroid or this is just normal ?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood tests have to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Sometimes weight loss may be a normal condition after delivery because of during pregnancy the weight of the fetus, placenta and amniotic fluid will add extra weight which is lost after pregnancy. Another normal phenomena may be increased body metabolic rate (BMR) which may contribute to weight loss. But if you have some doubts you can always get blood tests done to see if there is thyroid hormone disorders like hyperthyroidism which is one of the reasons for weight loss.

Other reasons may be some nutritional disorders like anemia, calcium deficiency which can be diagnosed by blood tests.

One of the main causes post natal is anemia which may be due to blood loss during pregnancy. If you take Iron and folic acid suppliments for about 3 months then your anemia may be corrected and you may start gaining weight.

regards- Dr Sanjay Kini

Follow-up: What causes fatigue and weight loss after child birth? 15 hours later
Ok..I will get a blodd test done then. Can you give me a prescription for what all tests I need to do.Also can you recommend which Iron and folic acid suppliments I should take.Thankyou Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the below mentioned tests done

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxxx. You can get Thyroid function test, Complete blood count, Hemoglobin, Random blood sugar, serum Calcium, vitamins and electrolytes done. Then you can consult me with the reports.

You can take Capsule Autrin which contains iron, folic acid and vitamin b-complex which will help you in increasing Hemoglobin and will make you feel better. Also there is B-Protein powder available which you can mix 2 tea spoons in milk and take daily which will help in weight gain.

with regards- Dr Sanjay Kini