What causes painful spots around the eye and cuts on the fingers?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
my wife is 25 years old, for the past three months she is complaining of painful cuts in her hands without any known origin. her fingers suddenly dry and gets painful cuts that sometimes have slight hard to catch on the eye bleeding. It gets more painful when washing. 2 months ago we tried corticosteroids and hand lotion from the pharmacy which worked for a bit but it came back immediately after she stopped it.
She is a mother of 2 children, she is breastfeeding the younger one for almost a year and 3 months now.
she recently also started developing painful spots around the eye and last night around her lips
We really are wondering what's the cause of this or if the spots surrounding the eye and finger cuts are related. our older son who is 3 years and a half is now also complaining of pain in his fingers when he touches food or something like lemon or soap, do they have the same condition?
what's the possible cause of this and how can we treat it?
Could it be an iron deficiency?

I uploaded some pictures of my wife fingers and eyes to help you with diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be eczema

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.
It seems to be a case of eczema. The involvement of the hands and peri ocular areas and the clinical picture points towards it being eczema.
Does she have dry skin, history of asthma, allergic rhinitis or sinusitis?
I would recommend your wife to avoid soaps and detergents, keep her hands as much moisturised as possible and avoid frequent washing of hands.
Besides this she needs to apply a potent topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream ( tenovate cream) on the affected areas of the hand twice daily along with frequent application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin ( moisturex soft cream or olesoft XXXXXXX ) on the entire hands 3-4 times in a day.
Around her eyes she can apply mild steroid like desonide cream twice daily.
Even your elder child seems to having the same problem as sometimes it is related to family history.
Keep his hands also moisturised and ask him to mimimise the use of soap and other chemicals.
These symptoms are not related to iron deficiency.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D