Owl Image

What causes persistent cracked heels despite taking medication?

Owl Image
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Question
I have excessisve cracking on my heals and is painful to walk most days. 4 months ago, my foot doctor recommended a regimen of the following but condition is not improving.
nightly: Aquaphor ointment apply to heals and sleep with socks
2xweekly: apply Lotrimin Ultra to heels
Daily: apply Amlactin lotion and Certain Dri roll-on.
Do you have any other recommendations or do I have a more serious condition?
I have a picture of it if that would help.
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints but would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: What causes persistent cracked heels despite taking medication? 1 hour later
I have attached a pic of heel that never heals.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczema of the heal, steroid salicylic acid combination ointment

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it seems to be eczema of the heel.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a steroid salicylic acid 3 percent combination ointment like clobetasol propionate and salicylic acid ointment on the affected areas of the heal twice daily along with application of a cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire feet 2-3 times in a day.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
These measures should improve your condition.