What do the attached blood reports indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello,
Pls. help me to understand the blood report of my wife, what are the abnormalities and ways to take to normal ways, either through medications or food
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low iron & low transferrin saturation,all other values are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The blood report shows low iron and low percent saturation of iron in blood.
There is iron deficiency.
Iron deficiency can lead to anemia or low hemoglobin.
However, the hemoglobin is within normal range. In this situation, iron supplements need to be taken to prevent anemia to develop.
Other parameters- thyroid function tests, glycosylated hemoglobin, lipid profile, lipase, amylase and liver function tests are within normal range.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Thank you ma'am
Earlier doctor told me about alkaline phosphatase high amount

What could be the reason and way to bring it to normal
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Isolated increase in alkaline phosphatase may be due to alcohol consumption

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
Alkaline phosphatase is one of liver enzymes.
Raised alkaline phosphatase is seen in obstructive liver disease.
There is isolated increase in alkaline phosphatase but all other parameters are within range.
This may be seen in individuals who consume alcohol.
Abstinence from alcohol may help to bring down the levels of alkaline phosphatase.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 24 hours later
What is the other reason if the person is non alcoholic

Any medicines you suggest for this to take control

Is it danger for my wife's health as she complains all the time about motions as it's hard to get motions routinely for her,is it threat for her liver
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alkaline phosphatase may be elevated in case of gallbladder disorder also

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Alkaline phosphatase can be high due to liver and gallbladder commonly.
Since all other liver enzymes are within normal limit, the gallbladder needs to be assessed.
I suggest you get an ultrasound abdomen to rule out the possibility of gallstones.

The second problem that you have mentioned is that of constipation (hard to get motions).
I'd suggest her to take plenty of fluids, fiber-rich food items and less of refined products like refined flour, refined sugar etc in the diet.

In case this lifestyle change does not help, I'd suggest you consult the Gastroenterologist once.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee