Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Trying for a baby. Missed period, pregnancy test negative, increase in vaginal discharge. Confused?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
My last period was Feb 16 2013 my cycle has been 28 to 30 days over the last 2 1/2 years but I haven't seen it since that date I've had two negative home tests and an increase in vaginal discharge. My husband and I are trying for our second but this is confusing.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Two negative pregnancy tests means the chances of your being pregnant are pretty slim.
Confirmatory would be a visit to a gynecologist and going in for a blood B HCG pregnancy test or a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound.
Other reasons for a skipped / delayed period could be -

1. Stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, frequent and hectic travelling, rapid and recent fluctuations in weight.

2. A normal occurrence once in a while.

3. Ingestion of hormonal medications or other medicines that interfere with normal menstrual cycle.

4. Thyroid hormone disorder, high prolactin levels, high adrenal hormone levels.

5. Conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometrial hyperplasia etc.

I would advise consulting a Gynecologist for thorough workup and evaluation so that the exact reason can be pinpointed.
If you have been trying to conceive for more than a year, i would recommend the following steps :

1. Your husband's semen analysis.
2. Your basic laboratory work up and hormonal profile.
3. Assessing your ovarian function by checking the AFC ( antral follicular count ) on ultrasound and markers like AMH, which indicate the capacity of the ovaries to produce mature eggs.
4. If all tests are normal, consider going in for assessment of your fallopian tube function by a laparoscopy or HSG ( hysterosalpingogram ).

Meanwhile, avoid stress and exertion, maintain a healthy BMI and take regular folic acid supplements.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor