Tested negative for hiv, syphilis and positive for hepatitis B. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi doctor..

I just called the clinic where I have done the test for HIV, GONORRHEA, SYPHILIS, CHLAMYDIA, which they returned negative. However, I also have done the test for HEPATITIS B and C. HEPATITIS C also turned negative, but my concern is about HEPATITIS B, which I was told by the nurse today that I'm negative with all types of HEPATITIS B, unless one type that came positive, which is because of my HISTORY PAST. She mentioned something about inactive and active infection, but I didn't catch it, so if you can figure out whether it's active or inactive, please let me know doctor!!. I wasn't concentrating with the nurse maybe because of my lack of language or medical expressions, or that because when they told me that I'm positive!!. They also told me that this type you have is none contagious.

So my questions are:
1/ As long as this type is none contagious, how did I have it? is it by sexual relationship, which I've done before, but in protected way, or I got it from one of my family, such as parents?
2/ What type of HEPATITIS B is related to history past and is it very XXXXXXX one?
3/ If I'm really infected by this, how long time do you think I can be treated?

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for my those several questions, but that because I'm extremely worried about my future!!.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 53 minutes later
Hi there.
Relax. Hepatitis B has different antigens that you can test for including a surface antigen & a core antigen & the antibodies therof. I have no clue as to what 'exactly' you have tested for. The nurse is firstly wrong for sending you away with part-information. The onus is on the medical person to provide complete information & ascertain that the lay-person understands it.
I am happy that all the serious ailments have turned out negative eg HIV.
Hepatitis B positivity may mean different things. Most importantly in your case, i think there is a mis-communication. i think what the nurse was trying to tell you was that you are negative (titre) & as such, it would be better for you to take the hepatitis B vaccination if you have not done so at your school or work place. Nowadays, it is common practice to do so. If indeed you have done so, it is possible that you register "positive" if one is checking the antibody titre. Dont be alarmed. This means your protection against the virus is 'good' & all is well.
Hepatitis B causes different effects on the liver basically & can be acute, sub-acute or chronic & may be innocuous too. Please do not fret about whether you have it or not.
Please get back to the testing centre & simply ask them if you have to take the vaccination or possibly it only means you have taken the vaccination earlier which is what i think is a real possibility. Relax all is well & hope you are now reassured. In any case, it is always wise to protect yourself & practice 'Safe Sex' & use a condom hitherto & that is my duty as a medical professional to advice you the same. Here's hoping you have a long & fruitful life & dont worry at all..anxiety is normal, relax all is well. There is no treatment required..just prevention. Chill!!
Warm Regds,
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 45 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your your responding, which made me feel better so far.

I have tested for all infections diseases such as, HIV, GONORRHEA, SYPHILIS, CHLAMYDIA, and HEPATITIS B AND C. As I told you, the nurse told me everything turned negative, except one type of HEPATITIS B, which I got long time ago ( HISTORY PAST). That means HEPATITIS B has different types, which I hope you to explain them to me. I don't know by which way I had it, but she said this type is NONE CONTAGIOUS ( I don't know what this means )!!. In addition, she explained to me that this type of HEPATITIS B is whether INACTIVE or ACTIVE, so at this point I misunderstood and didn't catch what she exactly said.

In any way let's imagine this type is INACTIVE or ACTIVE!..
How XXXXXXX is it these two actions in my body and how long both of them can be treated and to get rid of them?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Relax. take my word. The nurse is factually incorrect.
Hepatitis B is only ONE type & can be sexually or blood borne (basically same as for HIV). I mentioned its largest effect is on the liver if indeed it is around. What she must have meant to say is to tell you the difference between the different antigen types which need not concern you.
So in effect, you have nothing to worry about. Please check the results again & get yourself vaccinated. Prevention better than cure always. Besides, there is a new vaccine available should you be positive that is to be given for long periods & is expensive but that only comes into play when you have a titre (not just positivity) & the best person to contact @ ground 0 would be a gastroenterologist. Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Here are my results..
1/ Chlamydia.. Negative
2/ Gonorrhea.. Negative
3/ HSV 2 IGG.. ( I don't understand this result )
Index. Interpretation
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.10 Equivocal
>1.10 Positive
RPR (DX) W/REFL TITER AND CONFERMATORY TESTING
Results. Range
NON-REACTIVE (N) NON-REACTIVE
4/ Hepatitis B..
HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGEN..
Results. Range
NON-REACTIVE (N). NON-REACTIVE
HEPATITIS B CORE AB TOTAL..
Results. Range
REACTIVE (A). NON-REACTIVE
HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIBODY (QUANT)..
Results. Units
>1000 (N). mIU/mL
Patient has immunity to hepatitis B virus.
5/ Hepatitis C Antibody..
Results. Range
NON-REACTIVE (N). NON-REACTIVE
SIGNAL TO CUT-OFF..
Results. Range
0.04 (N). <1.00

I just want to be clear about Herpes, Hep B and C.
Sorry doctor about asking too much.
I appreciate your help in advance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there.
Read through your test results.
As i suspected, you have nothing to worry about.
No recent or old infection as regds herpes..this is what the test means.
You must have had hepatitisB vaccination at some point earlier as it says you have immunity to Hepatitis B. So its all clear for you.
Regds.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 23 minutes later
Sound's cozy for me..

My last question is that do I have to re-test again for Hepatitis B or as long as I have ammunity to it, I can live my life normaly?
In my situation for Hepatitis B, should I be treated?

They were my last questions.
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 hours later
There is no definite answer to this question but according to the current understanding of medical literature, they say the immunity lasts some 10 years following the vaccination for hepatitis B but always good to go in for a titre & quantitative value before deciding if a booster dose is required.
presently, yes..appears all cozy for you.
No need for any 'treatment' presently.
Regds
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD