Taking vitamin B12. Feeling joint pain and burning in liver. Blood test done. Proper diagnosis?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Question: Thank you doctor for your previous response. Two sets of blood work was done recently one by my family doctor and another by the hospital emergency department. But what they say is that they can not make sense of these results. Currently I am not on any medication except for Vitamin B12 as it was low to start with. Recently I have started to feel little bit of pain in my joints. Doctor asked me to take Iron Supplement (Ferrous Fumarate (200). But after few days I felt burning sensation in my liver etc and based on doctors advice I stopped taking it.
Since it is long time I am having the symptoms and I am not getting any medication or even any diagnosis, I am very worried. Could you please make sense of the blood works and give some direction on what is the best way to move forward?
Thanks you very much
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 47 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the additional information.

If you cannot tolerate the iron supplementation then it might be reasonable for you to ask your doctor about intravenous iron infusion. There are several different types of iron supplements as well and your doctor might provide you with an alternative regular prescription instead of considering the intravenous route.

Again I think you need an assessment to make sure there's not any evidence of gastrointestinal bleeding.

Otherwise one of the inflammatory markers was moderately elevated on your blood work. This is the sedimentation rate. I think it would be reasonable to repeat that test and if it is still elevated your doctor might consider looking for autoimmune illness which can sometimes also contribute to anemia.

Thanks again for your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns to discuss.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert