Swollen uvula, burning sensation in throat and chest, difficulty in breathing and swallowing, wheezing. On Ashtalin inhaler

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good Morning Doctor,
Sub : Swollen Uvla - burning sensation in throat to chest, difficult in breathing, talking, eating. and causing wheezing and cough. Sometimes I feel my chest is tightened and dificult to breath during nights

I have my uvla swollen for few months. every night when i sleep i feel difficulty in breathing as if some one is crushing my throat. While eating food, I find difficult to swallow the food, some times it causes pain in throat. A mild wheezing sound is always there that I could hear. When ever I go in cool climate or in pollution or some other environment, am getting wheezing.

I have nasal congestion also. since these two issues are making me breath difficult.

My blood group is O+ve and I am 25 yrs old. Working in Software company. So Airconditioned room also causes me wheezing.

If I use Asthelin Inhaler, 2 pufs, I could feel good for breathing for few hours.

Please help me to come out of these problems.
Thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your history and symptoms suggest that you are suffering from persistent bronchial asthma.
 Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways that causes periodic "attacks" of coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.

Asthma is associated with mast cells, eosinophils, and T lymphocytes and
These cells, along with other inflammatory cells, are involved in the development of airway inflammation in asthma that contributes to the airway hyperresponsiveness, airflow limitation, respiratory symptoms, and chronic disease. In certain individuals, the inflammation results in the feelings of chest tightness and breathlessness that's felt often at night (nocturnal asthma) or in the early morning hours. 
With bronchial asthma, you may have one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

Shortness of breath
Tightness of chest
Wheezing
Excessive coughing or a cough that keeps you awake at night
You must visit a pulmonologist and get your self examined and investigated for the following investigations
Spirometry: A lung function test to measure your breathing capacity and how well you breathe. 
Peak Expiratory Flow (PEF): Using a device called a peak flow meter, you forcefully exhale into the tube to measure the force of air you can expend out of your lungs. Peak flow monitoring can allow you to monitor your how well your asthma is doing at home.
Chest X-Ray: Your doctor may do a chest X-ray to rule out any other diseases that may be causing similar symptoms.Once
Once diagnosed, your asthma doctor will recommend asthma medication (which can include asthma inhalers and pills) and lifestyle changes to treat and prevent asthma attacks. For example, long-acting anti-inflammatory asthma inhalers are often necessary to treat the inflammation associated with asthma. These inhalers deliver low doses of steroids to the lungs with minimal side effects if used properly. The fast-acting or "rescue" bronchodilator inhaler works immediately on opening airways during an asthma attack.

While there is no asthma cure yet, there are excellent asthma medications that can help with preventing asthma symptoms and asthma support that can help you live a normal, active life.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 29 minutes later
Thanks for your Reply Doctor,

I had already consulted an ENT specialist.

he said, due to acidity in stomach during sleep hte acid may reverse through food pipe and reach throat and affects the uvla which is swollen and causing inflammation and wheezing.

He recommended a tablet and Sucrafilo Gel.

I am little bit confused here when I could see both of your diagnosis.

Is it the problem of asthma or Uvla or acidity? Not all the nights I am suffering for breathlessness. But some times I have the difficulties.. but normally i have inflammation little bit in food pipe and chest area.

When I undergone Master health check up six months back, I undergone this PEF test and also an X-ray, the result was normal as diagnosed by hte doctor.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
Hello
I still advise you to go to a pulmonologist and get lung function tests done which will make every thing clear
Your problems getting worsened in pollution and relief with inhaler points towards asthma.
Thanks