• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen legs and ankles

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: About 10 days ago my legs started swelling and my ankles. I started taking Diurex about a week ago and it helped a little. I have been sleeping with my legs elevated. I did not take Diurex today. Along with the swelling my legs seem to get painful twinges in different areas throughout the day. I noticed tonight that my hands are very swollen and veins are bulging. Earlier today I got dizzy
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to fluid retention. Diurex is a diuretic, which helps eliminate excessive water from your body. The fact that it has helped a little, is another argument in favor of fluid retention.

Coming to this point, it is important performing some tests to investigate for the possible cause of this clinical scenario (heart disorder, kidney and liver disorder or any other metabolic disorders.

I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart structure and function
- a chest X ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, blood fasting glucose, blood electrolytes, blood osmolarity, kidney and liver function tests, PCR and sedimentation rate)
- urine analysis for possible proteinuria

I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure frequently during the day and refer them to your doctor.

You should discuss with him on these issues, and find the proper treatment based your test results.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist