Ask a Urologist   »  

Is microalbuminuria level of 1,943 mg/dl a cause for concern?

Question
What is the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic consideration of drugs of a 50-year-old Caucasian female who is obese, has hypertension, diabetes? One year ago a spot urine test showed a microalbuminuria level of 1,943 mg/dl.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medications prescribed appropriately

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

The ACE inhibitors would prevent progression of nephropathy related to diabetes by decreasing the proteinuria. The ACE inhibitors would also decrease the intra glomerular hypertension leading to a beneficial effect in the long term even though there may be an initial drop in the GFR. The metformin would address both the diabetes and obesity.

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Follow-up: Is microalbuminuria level of 1,943 mg/dl a cause for concern? 17 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX I have another question but more on the academic side, I thought that the GRF would initially increase due to hyperfiltration in the glomerular. Then as kidney damage progresses, the GRF decreases. Am I thinking right about this?

Again, thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes, GFR (Glomerular Filteration Rate) would increase initially due to hyperfilteration. You are correct.