Suggest treatment for swelling in legs and weight gain
My mom has been diagonised with vitamin difficency due to which she has swollen legs and is gaining weight. She is unable to walk. Currently they have prescribed some pills, but day to day she is adding weight and the swelling is not coming down. Please could you suggest any remedy that will cure her soon and she does not have to go through the pain for months. She has been having this problem since the past 4 months.
Based on your description, I don't feel any direct link between vitamin deficiency and limb swelling + weight gain. Though it may have some association and contribute to the pains, without analysing her symptoms and reports, I cannot make a valid opinion.
Can you explain the chronology of symptoms that occurred to her? Which part of the legs are swollen, it is one sided or two sides? Does the amount of swelling change in relation to time of day? Does it pit to pressure? Does it hurt when pressure is applied?
Since when is she gaining weight? What is her latest thyroid report say - is it under control?
Can you brief me about her menstruation - is she still having regular periods or are they irregular? If they are irregular, since when is it irregular?
I will need more details from you to be able to address this issue. Hope you don't mind answering all my questions.
Awaiting your response...
Thanks for your response, please find more information below :
1) She does not have swelling in the morning it increses as the day progresses and also depends on how much she walks.
2) Both her feet do not swell up at the same time, sometimes its eaither left or right.
3) She has swelling at her ankles and even if there is no swelling she cannot walk due to the pain.
4) Hen menstrual cycle is regular and has no issues.
5) She has been gaining weight since the last 6 months, that's when the pain started.
6) Her thyroid was detected only last week and she has been following the medication.
The doctors are telling her she has Vitamin D difficeincy. I am waiting to get the reports from XXXXXXX will share it the moment I receive it.
I see your an XXXXXXX would you recommend any good hospital in Bangalore( India).
We have already tried 3 big hospitals.
Will wait for your response.
Will like to review the reports...
My comments are as follows:
1. Vitamin D deficiency cause bone demineralization leading to bone and joint pains. It may be a cause here. However I would want to perform X-rays or scans to confirm this swelling is needed from vitamin d deficiency induced joint problem.
2. Based on the fact, the swelling gradually forms during the course of day after walking, this swelling may also be related to venous pooling which in turn can be due to anemia, vein varicosity, high blood pressure, certain drugs (especially antihypertensives) and other cardiovascular conditions.
3. Her weight gain is more likely due to hypothyroidism. We can get this under control through calorie restricted diet and proper thyroid dosing.
I would like to review the tests results before referring to a doctor/hospital.
That being said, the amount of swelling vs the severity of pain can help us guide her to the right specialist.
a) If she has more pain when compared to amount of swelling, then perhaps its from inflammatory cause - orthopedician / rheumatologist will be helpful. Hosmat hospital in XXXXXXX is supposed to be pioneer/premium institute in this field.
b) If swelling is large and pain is not significant, then its is most likely due to other causes. It needs further evaluation through a physician.
Hope this helped.
I have attached a few reports from several doctors, we have consulted almost 6 hospitals.
Please take a look and provide your opinion.
Thanks for your help.
The tests performed for a different purpose...
From what I read, she has been investigated for lower limb pain which is radiating from the back along with urinary incontinence (inability to hold urine). These symptoms are clinically suggestive of spine nerve compression. However as suggested by MRI, there are no active nerve compressions documented. She might consider discussing the MRI (films) with another spine surgeon for a second opinion. Hosmat Hospital has a good mixture of experts for such conditions in XXXXXXX Alternatively a neurosurgeon Dr. N.K.Venkataramana from B.G.S.Hospital XXXXXXX is well qualified to treat her.
As far as the swelling in her legs is concerned, none of the reports above can explain it. As I discussed earlier, it has a different line of investigations.
Since the history is not very clear, I would suggest she takes a second opinion from spine surgeon. If there is significant leg swelling noted on clinical examination, spine surgeons will be able to direct her to respected specialist for detailed evaluation.
Hope I am clear. Feel free to ask for clarifications.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cortisol and weight gain treatment
- Hyperparathyroidism and weight gain treatment
- What treatment do you suggest to gain weight
- Suggest treatment for weight gain due to hypothyroidism
- Suggest treatment for face swelling following dental treatment
- Weight gain after taking steroid treatment for allergy suggestive treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment for weight gain
- Suggest treatment to gain weight and for bad breath
- Suggest treatment for weight gain due to hysterectomy
- Suggest treatment to gain weight