Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for stress seizures

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I am trying to find help online because I have stress seizures and can not drive to a dr visit. I have been diagnosed 5 yrs ago with stress related seizures but with no insurance I am unable to pay for an expensive dr visit. I am having an unusual amount of seizures, for example 2 yesterday, 1 today and I am still shaky, pacing, heart racing, rash on my neck, and some trouble catching my breath. Usually I would call an ambulance and go to the er but I have racked up bills there that I am barely making the minimum payment, so I can not do that anymore. My neurologist had me on 3mg Xanax er before but as I said haven't been able to go for 6 months when my job fired me for my seizures (liability). Please help, I don't know what to do and these episodes are really scaring me.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Underlying depression need to be treated Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The other name for the stress related seizure is conversion disorder. Its very common among the people who are stressed or are having a depression. I see many such patients in my clinic and they do settle down in in their ones their stress settles down. Coming to their treatment part, medicines do not have much a role. One should start taking anti-depressants such as escitalopram or fluoxetine etc. along with a benzodiazepines such as clonazepam or lorazepam. Other than getting the uderlying depression treated, the medications dont have much a role. Its will also be beneficial in your case as you have a PTSD as well. Other than this you need to take up cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. At present there is no need to worry. Take some rest and then ask your friend or family member to take you to a neuro psychiatrist who can guide you regarding these options that I have discussed with you. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor