Suggest treatment for sore knots between right rib cage and pelvis

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Experiencing sore knots between bottom of right rib cage and pelvis. I fractured my 5th right rib about 6 weeks ago but that is almost cleared up. I also have pain between my shoulder blades quite often. I don't think that the fractured rib is related or not. Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Musculoskeletal sequelae

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Rib cage fracture may have such sequelae of pain for a few months. This is a musculoskeletal pain likely and need rest, muscle relaxants and physiotherapy exercises. Age of 84 makes it more likely as healing is delayed in geriatric age limits and may take longer than usual to heal completely.

How ever keeping open mind for other possibilities like NSAID induced gastric discomfort or gall bladder inflammation or pancreas involvement may explain that pain too. So i would say there is no harm in getting slightly evaluated and giving a try to some pepto or any other home remedy for antacid and antispasmodics.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 57 minutes later
Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I have a history of breast cancer and had radiation, I do not take medications for that anymore. My father died from either a liver or kidney cancer and since this pain is situated in the that area it makes me wonder. The pain came on suddenly – about four or five days ago. The pain is at a level of 6 to 8 on a scale 1-10.
My urine is free from blood when I check it in the toilet. My readings suggest that I get a CT scan and an urine-analysis. My most recent lab test listed my GFR non - XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is 41, the GFR indicates below 60 might mean kidney disease. There was no reference to this by my primary care Doctor, however. The test was taken 3/17/2015.

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Musculoskeletal pain likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

As i mentioned GFR is a relative measuring tool for age and for 84 i would say 41 is quite good. Renal functions decline with age.

As far as the radiation and breast cancer history of 10 years back, i don't see any correlation of etiology 10 years back with a pain which is hardly of a few days.

With fracture of the ribs and the area nearby involved i pretty much think it is a musculoskeletal pain an needs muscle relaxants, physiotherapy exercises, rest and some Antacids prophylactically to help NSAIDs induced discomfort which you might have used for the pain for the last few weeks.

I would like you to get scanned as well to rule out any collateral damage done like gall bladder infection or pancreas involvement .

I hope it helps.

Take careKhan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan